Saturday, June 19, 2010

Traffic Lights

I remember in the not-so-distant past (though regrettably in another century now a dim memory to some), that if one was driving the speed limit on Jackson Street approaching downtown and made it through the traffic light by Lindsey's (crossing Madison) on green, one could rely on passing right through downtown with EVERY light being green.  The same was possible heading north on Greenville.
 
Now, however, I can count on one hand the number of times I have breezed through Newnan on all green lights since 2000...and have fingers left over.
 
My question is...HOW HARD CAN IT BE (having successfully put a man on the moon and inconveniently predicted global immolation) to synchronize the traffic lights in downtown Newnan?
 
I rather suspect the answer is "not hard at all, but we really fear for the safety of pedestrians OR we really want people to stop and see our 'charm' and all our new merchants and restaurants."  But still, I'm American and like to GET WHERE I'M GOING as efficiently as possible, which means "as quickly as possible with no unneccessary stops."  Somebody in Newnan is MAKING ME STOP when I know good and well from past experience I DON'T HAVE TO STOP!
 
Am I alone in my peevishness?
-------------------
Russ Moore

10 comments:

  1. I agree! The new ones that are at the interstate are crazy too!! Charlotte Dombrowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry Calhoun says : The north 85 lane sign should read north 85 only....traffic jams right there because the sign shows straight an dif you don't turn you take a big chance of getting hit trying to move over a lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should consider yourself lucky, that in this world, all you have to complain about is the timing of the traffic lights on the Square. I applaude your blind consideration for others and their needs. I'm sure you are a prince among men!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about a high horse that last commenter must be a liberal !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, no. But I'm not conservative either. I think for myself and believe in what I think is right, not what other's think/feel/perceive and try to influence others with. No high horse here, just amazed that someone is lucky enough to have only that worry or concern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget to stop at the new pedestrian crosswalk on LaGrange Street. I walk that area on a regular basis and the drivers are having a hard time with the word "STOP". I have become a traffic cop holding up my my hand up to cars/trucks. I guess I may have to invest in a police uniform. Joy Brown Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monte Brown : Put a red-light up on welcome rd. at the intersection of welcome rd. and welcome to sargent, slow the speeders down. People do 65/70 in a 45, and people park at the welcome station in the no-parking zone, you can't see to pull out of welcome to sargent onto welcome rd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you in that much of a hurry. Stopping at all red lights probably adds 15 seconds to you day. Get over it. Yes a man among men!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting !! Your comment will show up soon.